Netaji Mahavidyalaya was established in the year 1948 at Kalipur under the Arambagh Municipality. The college initially started as an Intermediate college with Science, Arts and Commerce at the Intermediate level, having its affiliation to the then Calcutta University. Department of Chemistry also started its journey way back since the very day of inception of the college as an Intermediate department. In the year 1958, the affiliation was extended to the undergraduate course with B.Sc (Pure Scinece general), BA (general) and B.Com (general) under the same University. In 1960-61, after the establishment of the Burdwan University, the college got its new affiliation to The University of Burdwan. In the year 1983 ‘The University of Burdwan’ permitted the opening of Chemistry Honours course with 15 seats at the initial level. The faculty of the department then consisted of four full time lecturers, two full time demonstrators and three part-time lecturers. Sri Nikhil Chandra Roy, the then demonstrator in this department was promoted to lecturer post in 1993 after the completion of his postgraduate degree from Jadavpur University as per Government rules. After the retirement of Sri N. Roy and Sri Amarendranath Roy, demonstrator, both the posts were abolished by the State Government as per rules.
Though the number of sanctioned teaching post for the Department is four, at present the department is managed by two full-time, one part-time and four Guest Teachers. Two of them are specialized in the branch of Inorganic Chemistry, two in Organic Chemistry and the other three in Physical Chemistry. The department has approximately hundred students in Honours Course. The department has three laboratory staff and one store keeper (superannuated). At present, the Honours students are admitted to the college by the process of counseling. Average success rate in the University examinations is nearly more than 90%. Some of the successful students get a chance to pursue their higher studies from the affiliating University or some other University of West Bengal or even in other states or else are engaged in teaching in schools or in some other suitable jobs. The Departmental Library started in the year 2007 and now it is well equipped with 282 books (Text and Reference) for the use of the students as well as the teachers. The students have the liberty of expressing their view and transmitting important messages by publishing the Department Wall Magazine named ‘RESONANCE’, being published annually since 2006. The laboratory in the department is mostly equipped as per the syllabus of the University. However, it still needs to be improved in near future.
|Dr. Amit S. Tiwary||M.Sc, Ph. D||Associate Professor in Chemistry||Organic Chemistry|
|Dr. Krishanu Sarkar||M.Sc, Ph. D||Assistant Professor in Chemistry||Inorganic Chemistry|
|Dr. Smita Satapathi||M.Sc, Ph. D||Assistant Professor in Chemistry||Inorganic Chemistry|
|Mousumi Mondal||M.Sc||Part-Time Teacher in Chemistry||Physical Chemistry|
|Mukti Dey||M.Sc||Guest Lecturer in Chemistry||Physical Chemistry|
|Papiya Sanki||M.Sc||Guest Lecturer in Chemistry||Organic Chemistry|
|Koushik Ghosh||M.Sc||Guest Lecturer in Chemistry||Physical Chemistry|
Regular theory and practical classes followed by special practical classes after Test and even after final theory examinations as and when needed. Department has its own library containing 282 texts and reference books for consultation by the students and the teachers alike. As per the recommendation of the IQAC of the college, in order to make teaching-learning attractive and to motivate the students, the department organizes educational tours at different scientific institutions of the country. Alternative ways of imparting knowledge like quiz, group discussion and seminars by students are also encouraged. The teachers of the department are actively engaged in continuing their post doctoral work leading to regular publications in peer reviewed national and international journals.